Operation London Bridge: Protocol for Marking the Death of a Senior National Figure or Local Holder of High Office
This protocol has been cascaded down to local authorities to ensure local plans are in place. Guidance from these organisations/dignitaries forms the basis of local plans. This protocol sets out the action to be taken in the event of the death of:
- H.M. The Queen
- H.R.H. The Prince of Wales
- H.R.H. The Duchess of Cornwall
- H.R.H. The Duke of Cambridge
- H.R.H. The Duchess of Cambridge
- H.R.H. The Duke of York
- H.R.H. The Princess Royal
- H.R.H. The Earl of Wessex
- H.R.H. The Countess of Wessex
It may also be implemented in the event of the death of The Prime Minister, the Member of Parliament for the local constituency or other dignitaries.
Objectives of the Plan
• To ensure that formal protocols are observed throughout the period from formal announcement to stand down after the state funeral.
• To provide the public with outlets for demonstration of grief and sympathy in a manner that observes formal protocols and maintains respectful conduct.
• To provide accurate and timely information to the public and external partners.
• Prevent disruption
Parts 1 to 11 of the plan can be found in the attached document, along with Annex A and B.