Upper Rissington Parish Council
Allowances & Expenses Policy – November 2019
Upper Rissington Parish Council will make reimbursement for all or some of the expenses the Clerk, the Chairman or councillors may meet on its behalf when incurred in performing the duties required by the council.
All expense claims must be submitted using the council’s Travel and Expenses Claim form and accompanied by receipts.
- CLERK EXPENSES
The Clerk will be able to claim the following expenses:
- Travelling and associated travel expenses on journeys on approved council business to include mileage at current NJC rates and parking.
- Subsistence which may include overnight accommodation and meals incurred in the performance of council business (“other expenses”) provided that the other expenses have been receipted and approved by the council.
- Small purchases such as postage and supplies in accordance with Financial Regulations.
- CHAIRMAN’S EXPENSES
The Chairman can be allocated a small annual allowance, as per Section 15(5) of the Local Government Act 1972, to defray the expenses of the office, for example attending lunch with a neighbouring parish council chairman. The amount within the revenue budget is currently £500.
- COUNCILLORS’ EXPENSES
Parish councillors are unpaid and elected councillors may receive an annual basic allowance, if one is set by the parish council. Basic allowances must be administered in accordance with The Local Authorities (Members’ Allowances) (England) Regulations 2003.
Councillors (including the Chairman) may be reimbursed for expenses for travel and subsistence on council business outside the council’s area (encompassing Cotswold District):
- Travelling and associated expenses on journeys on council business to include mileage at current NJC rates and parking.
- For the purpose of making mileage claims, councillors are permitted to claim for “allowable journeys” only – made with the mandate and prior approval of the Council.
- All claims are to be made promptly to the Clerk (within two months of expenditure) and where relevant MUST be accompanied by a receipt.
Councillors may be reimbursed for purchases made on behalf of the parish council – where made with the mandate and prior approval of the council.
This Policy was reviewed and adopted by the council at a meeting held on 13th November 2019. Next review due November 2020.
UPPER RISSINGTON PARISH COUNCIL EXPENSES POLICY Page 1 of 1